Monday, April 18, 2005
breaking up is hard to do...
On Saturday night, I broke up with my 'boyfriend' of a few months. I had been being very unfair to him because I am so busy I never had any time to hang out with him. And school was definitely my top priority, then work, then supporting some of my closest friends and then if I had free time I would hang out with him. It must have been pretty frustrating for him. He would stop by and I couldn't even stop typing my essay that would be due the next day because I literally get up at 5am and start studying and preparing for the day, then finally stop studying around 11pm and read for an hour before I go to sleep. I wasn't in love with him, either. He was very romantic, but it got quite annoying after a while. I guess my mom has ruined me for all that stuff :) I hate it when guys hold the door open for me and make me go in before me. And in a strange twist, I have discovered that I don't really like being told that I am beautiful because that is not who I want to be. I want to be seen as an intelligent, passionate person who is concerned about other people, not her looks. Anyway, despite all this, it is still difficult to break up with someone. On the upside, we had one of the most fruitful discussions ever afterwards.
5 comments:
I am sorry that it didn't work out. I am beginning to wonder if I ruined you too. Only your therapist will know for sure;)
Em,
I'm totally with you on the romance thing. I do appreciate thoughtful, unexpected gestures, but too much is annoying. My sister's fiance, for example, absolutely refuses to let a female - any female! not just my sister - hold the door open for him and will stand there until she goes in. Argh! He is also buying her flowers ALL THE TIME. It loses meaning after a while. Flowers on a random Thursday "just because" are nice; every Thursday is lame.
Cari
The problem is that guys don't seem to understand the right balance. They are either not romantic at all or too romantic. I have dealt with both types and neither are very satisfying.
Aunt Nanc, my Mom offered to pay for my therapy that might be required by being brought up with her disdain for marriage... not to give Em any ideas here..
Sometimes things just don't work out. Sounds like the breakup was good; if you're still friends afterwards that's great.
I love all these rants and then there is thoughtful, kind sensitive Gavin. Can we PLEASE clone this man?!
Post a Comment