Monday, March 06, 2006

First impressions


Don't worry, this one is shorter...
I felt very strange leaving Ecuador this morning. I was very, very sad to go but didn’t want to pass too much time feeling depressed because I thought that in that case I would lose precious moments with my host family. At the same time, I was kind of mad at myself that I didn’t cry a lot. I hope my family knows how much I love them and will miss them. Taking off in the plane was really hard. I will miss the Pinchinchas and the architecture in general every morning. I was crying while the plane took off and there was a Canadian guy sitting next to me who I am pretty sure thought I was insane. Landing in Miami, however was even harder. I was not prepared for the monotony of the landscape. All the houses were rectangular with orangy-red tiled roofs and arranged in neat nested squares around very fake-looking ponds. There were no mountains. There was no diversity in the landscape. I was completely unprepared however for the Miami airport. Everyone and thing seemed to be moving so fast. Everyone was speaking in English and the officials, although they did not carry machine guns, were even more scary as they shouted curt orders. There is no way to be polite in English like there is in Spanish. It simply isn’t possible.
Ironically, I guess my own culture will take some getting used to again. It is nice to be back in my house and see my mom, brother, dog and fish again.

5 comments:

Becca said...

So your mom managed to keep your fish alive? Good for her!

Also, did y'all receive the tree-mobile-dirt-thing that your Mom left at my house? I shipped it with great care a few weeks ago.

Sarah said...

Welcome back to the US, hard as it may be.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen said...

I can understand that. Even after 10 days in South America, little things about the US suprise me. Like how many stalls there are in the airport bathroom.

You'll adjust. :) I'm glad you had such a great experience in Ecuador.

Gavin said...

I had "reverse" culture shock coming back to the US after 1.5 years. It takes a little while to get used to it.