School tends to be really lonely when no one else is around. Only one of my friends has returned to school yet and she is an RA and so it chained to the staff room from 9am to 9pm. The shortage of human life is unfortunately forcing me to work on the grant application I should turn in tomorrow. Grr. My flight back was pretty uneventful, with the exception that there were exactly three people on the second leg so we got to fly in a private plane. It was pretty awesome.
After a good morning sleeping in, a 4 mile run, a long trip grocery shopping on my best friend's bike (it is way better than mine so sometimes she lets me borrow it. Plus it has a rack on the back so I can carry more stuff), a couple hours making bread for dinner, and a futile attempt to buy textbooks I was finally brave enough to check my mailbox. I knew that my grades for the quarter would be there, and that meant knowing what I got in organic chemistry. I was hoping for an A- but that was a pretty high hope. I was pretty sure I would get a B+, but a B was still a strong possibility. There is a long and painful history in my family surrounding organic chemistry. My mom was planning on becoming a veterinarian until she did not get an A in organic chemistry and her adviser told her she would not be admitted to veterinary school with anything less than a 4.0 in the sciences. She majored in psychology to be able to graduate on time and now is a professor in the communication department of a college. I survived the first semester of organic quite painlessly with an A but the second semester was the most frustrating class I have ever taken. The main problem stemmed from the fact that I really liked the class and all the material we were covering (which left me no excuse to complain about it). It was just super difficult. Regardless of how well I thought I knew the material I would not perform well on exams. I guess it was a good experience because I have never had to deal with that before where I literally can't do any better. Anyway, top that off with taking an extra class as well as weekly piano lessons and working 40 hours each week (not including commuting time) and I had a pretty stressful quarter. All kinds of justifications were streaming through my head as I opened the letter from the school. I just kind of stared at it for a while in disbelief. There was no B anywhere to be found. Across from "Organic Chemistry II" read A. Not even an A-! I still don't really believe it.
2 comments:
Yes a mother gets the chance to live her dream live vicariously through her daugher.
P.S. please update MY blog.
You know what I disliked about Orgo, memorization. I just wasn't interested in memorizing and interpretting names for all those kabillion-letter chemicals -- let alone drawing what they looked like. I think I did poorly in the class by virtue of my stubborness. Congrats!
Your mother really should update her blog.. Oh, and thanks for the Death Valley postcard! Yeah for postcards!!!
Post a Comment