Saturday, March 12, 2005

*sigh*

Well, I know it has been quite a while since my last post, but things have been crazy at school lately. Last night I got my thrid organic exam back and I got the best score I've gotten so far in the second semester of organic, which was exciting. Granted, this score was the same as the lowest score I ever received on an exam in the first semester of orgo. It was still a cause for celebration (which of course manifests itself at the end of a quarter as a good night's sleep). I turned in my final paper in ethology this week, a review of the literature on upstream migration in salmon. As a result of my biology term papers this year, I have become an expert on orchidae in Peru and the mechanisms of upstream migration in salmon. I am confident that some day this new-found knowledge will become crucial to my survival :). Perhaps I will be lost in the Ecuadorian amazon and find a lost salmon whose nose led him astray and have to use the local orchid diversity to help him find his way out to the ocean and to the correct stream so his tired semelparous body can spawn before it perishes. Hey, it's one step closer to happening since I found out yesterday I was accepted to the study abroad program in Ecuador.
Now, every sophomore at K received letters announcing their accpetance to or rejection from the study abroad program they spent months applying for (or at least several hours on February 11th). Everyone that is, except the poor soul at box 343. Study abroad is the main hallmark of a K education so pretty much everything anyone talks about winter quarter of their sophomore year revolves around study abroad. So imagine the thoughts in this poor girl's head when all of her friends were celebrating their fat stuffed envelopes and she didn't get anything. Not even a thin one. Thanks to the wonderful staff of the mail hut, her acceptance to study abroad in Rome was placed in box 243 instead. Of course, because of the extended hours kept by our wonderful mailroom, she will have to wait until Monday evening to find the envelope finally stuffed into her box. I feel pretty bad for her.
Alright, back to orgo and ethology studying. Perhaps I should practice the piano for that final as well. Grrr. In less than 5 days I will be on a train endlessly annoying my fellow passengers, but headed for home. Granted, it will take me seven days before I actually arrive home, but who's counting :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, she updated!

Maybe you should cut back on credits so you can better attend to your blog:)

7 days to get home, How is your family making you travel? By camel?

You must be looking forward to seeing your family, especially because you have such a fabulous mother, who has worked tirelessly to raise you, support you, encourage you... Dang you are lucky! She deserves many hugs when you see her.

Becca said...

geesh. you could get home faster by hitchhiking.. your spring break will be over by the time you get home.

Rosie said...

Okay, maybe I should clarify something. When I said it would take me 7 days to get home, I meant from when I wrote the entry not from when I started the journey home. It will take me a little over 2 days though to get home, if that counts for anything :)