I have this best friend who used to be my roommate. We should have been roommates this year, but I decided to live in an on-campus house and she decided to be an RA; a mistake for both of us. She is the most amazing person I have ever met. She generously mentors elementary kids while at school and is so committed to it that her mentees come before her schoolwork sometimes :). We play music together and I always feel so much more comfortable playing the piano when I can hear her cello next to me. But possibly my favorite thing to do with her is going on really long walks around town late at night. We just talk and walk and completely lose track of time: once, I think we walked for over four hours. I had to say goodbye to her yesterday knowing that it would be the last time I saw her for almost a year since we are both studying abroad in different countries next year. I am going to miss her so much.
Saying godbye to her made yesterday even worse. It was over 90 degrees in Kalamazoo and very humid. I had to pack all my stuff and fit it into a very small locker on campus. Then I had to say goodbye to people who have really become my family. While I am certainly excited to see my 'real' family again and spend time with my mom and brother and dog, we have a completely different relationship now that I spend over half the year away. It is really my friends at school who are my support system when life becomes overwhelming. I don't know what I am going to do without them.
2 comments:
Think of it as your family just keeps growing and growing and next year you will have family members all around the world, just waiting for your next blog entry.
oh man, i sure do love you emmy. i'm totally crying right now.
Post a Comment