Wednesday, July 20, 2005

the fortune cookie

Dennis gave me a fortune cookie from his lunch today and the fotune said "more effort and hard work is required to make a precious dream come true". So now even fortune cookies are asking me to work harder :) I laughed for a long time when I read the message. Things are stable here again as far as fish. I haven't had any more die since last Friday and I should get the histopathology report tomorrow and hopefully know why I lost an entire tank. My cousin Caroline is coming to visit Oregon tonight and I am going to kidnap her for the weekend and show her the aquarium and Hatfield and other quirks of Newtown such as Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum and the Wax Museum. I am so excited to see her!
A strange thing has been happening this week, though. I didn't run at all a week before my yellow fever/rabies vaccine but I was biking pretty much every day. I biked for a long time on Friday after finally getting back from my errands across Western Oregon then felt sick on Saturday so I didn't do anything. On Sunday, I went for a pretty long run that included a huge hill, but it wasn't any more difficult than other runs I have been doing this summer. I was really sore that evening and the next day--so much so that I had trouble walking because every step hurt so much--which was strange since I usually don't get very sore, even when I overexert myself. The next day, I was mad at myself for being sore so I ran the same route without the hill (making it 1.5 miles shorter and completely flat) thinking that warming up my muscles on something easy would be good for them. However, I was even more sore the next day. It's kind of scary--I have to use my arms to get out of chairs because my legs can't hold the weight. I didn't do anything yesterday then today I was still as sore as I was after my second run but I decided to run a flat course at lunch anyway. Then this afternoon I was just walking at the marina and fell because my leg basically collapsed from under me. So, I am getting pretty worried about what is going on and I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on it. I know I should probably stop running until it gets better and I am going to the doctor again for a booster of the rabies vaccination so I can ask the nurse then, but I have never been this sore/stiff in my life and I can't think of anything really strenuous I did to bring it on. I am kind of wondering if it has something to do with the vaccinations I got last Friday, but I don't know. Hmmm.....

3 comments:

Someone on the cusp... said...

Most definitely ask at the nurse's station. I would feel better if it was checked before you ran anymore.

See ya Friday!

Becca said...

Leg collapsed under you? Are you sure its muscle soreness and not an ACL or something? (Is your leg stable, is what I'm asking?) You should get it checked out immediately if possible, because if it is something that requires medical intervention, you only have a month or so left to do it before departing to a place with severely lower quality medical care. I mean, my friend Karen couldn't even get her ACL fixed in England, forget about Ecuador!

Rosie said...

I am pretty sure it is just muscle soreness. It's mostly in my quads and whatever muscles are in the back of your thighs and a little in my calf muscles. One of the side effects for both vaccinations was muscle soreness, though. I have to go to the doctor's tomorrow so I will ask about it then.