A woman called into the veterinary clinic yesterday asking for a second opinion on her cat. Her kitten got into her roommate's sewing kit and swallowed a bunch of thread. Stangely, the first veterinary clinic she went to said that her beloved cat only had a 15-20% chance of survival. I found this strange, since we remove string and other interesting objects from both cats and dogs fairly frequently and with a much higher success rate. Since we sounded more optimistic, she ended up bringing in her cat and we did an exploratory abdominal surgery in the afternoon. I was really excited because I got to help with it. But, since we had regularly scheduled appointments as well, I got home really late.
After I ate dinner and pretended to work on homework for a while, it was time to head back to work and check on the cat. I failed to realize, though, that since I rode my bike to work earlier I didn't shovel the driveway. So I'm stuck outside, after midnight, in a really nice neighborhood where no one is up at this unreasonable hour (I'm housesitting for a professor), trying to silently shovel the foot of ice and snow separating me from my car. I was only successful at scraping off the top layer. Fortunately, the cat was doing quite well.
5 comments:
Not to suggests one location might be a little more pleasant than another, but it is sunny and in the 60s here today. Should I ask what is the wind chill factor out there?
Jen & Gavin were dogsitting for a friend and the golden retriever ate like 25 spools of thread and had to go in for emergency surgery!
Yeah, Lady had a ball of thread about 15 cm across in her belly. And strands trailing into her small intestine. I guess this is actually a fairly common problem, but I never would have thought that she'd eat that stuff!
yeah, you have to wonder why they keep eating the string when it is still stuck in their throat. 15cm diameter is quite a lot of sting!
Well, it was on the spools (those little travel ones) when it went down her throat. It took it a couple weeks to unspool into the ball in her stomach.
Post a Comment