Work was amazing today. We had an older dog come in with an immune disease where his immune system was destroying his red blood cells. He needed a blood transfusion quickly. We finally found a donor (another assistant's dog) and were all set up to go through with the transfusion. I was really excited because this was the first transfusion I had done. My job was to swirl the citrate and blood solution while informing the veterinarian about the flow rate. Unfortunately, our doner was not to keen on the huge needle we wanted to stick in her jugular so what should have been an easy procedure became a long and convoluted series of syringes and expletives. I was having so much fun. Finally, we got enough blood to give to our sick patient. Fortunately, dispite our hardships, both dogs recovered well.
If you touch the sink and the centrifuge simultaneously while the centrifuge is on, you receive a small electric shock. It's the best trick to play on new employees. A technician and I got the genius idea the other day to see how many people we could get the electrical shock to travel through. So we recruited a long line of people to form a chain and test if we woul all still get shocked. Now you know what science geeks do for fun :)
No comments:
Post a Comment