Saturday, June 17, 2006

and the awesomeness continues to increase...

My Saturday:
1) wake up and eat bananas with peanut butter at the co-op for breakfast. Pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a granny smith apple and a couple of nalgenes and head out to Acadia with some friends.
2) climb one mountain, the second highest one on the island.
3) get to the top and decide another mountain looks pretty cool and climb that one too (the highest peak on the island as well as the Eastern Seaboard)
4) hike back to the car through a creek scrambling over boulders
5) see whirligig and other cool aquatic beetles swimming in a pond
6) hang out in Bar Harbor and eat the most delicious french fries known to man while chilling under a tree in the park
7) drive back to the lab and see my lab mates walking over to my PI's house to take out his kayaks
8) run back to help them
9) end up sea kayaking for hours, crossing from the island over to the mainland while seeing porpoises, seals, bald eagles and comorants
10) make a really yummy dinner with lab mates
11) play volleyball as the sun sets

Yep, I had a pretty cool day today. My friends Alex and Lindsey hiked up Dorr mountain and then hiked over to Cadillac before heading down to the car for the day. When we got back around 3pm, I went out kayaking until 5 or so and realized that I love kayaking.
I don't have any pictures of the kayaking but there are some pictures of the hike:


Alex and Lindsey halfway up Dorr mountain looking onto the bay between the island and the mainland




Some ant-pollinated wildflowers...I also took lots of pictures of mosses and lichens but I will spare you those :)




Lindsey, Alex and me at the top of Dorr mountain




View from the top of Dorr, looking out onto the outer islands. You could actually see Rockefeller's boathouse as a small shiny rectangle from the top




Cadillac mountain as it appeared from the top of Dorr mountain. Little did we know we would have to climb down Dorr mountain and then all the way up Cadillac. This would be a good place for a zip trek :)

5 comments:

Becca said...

I am *so* jealous. Last time I was in Maine was for Outward Bound and I had to jump in that freezing cold water every morning at sunrise and swim around our boat :)

Seriously, totally jealous. Trying to work out a way to come visit you. Wish I had more vacation time.

Someone on the cusp... said...

Stan and I are impressed with your Saturday. Our Sunday is stacking up pretty nice though. You may have competition.

Rosie said...

I must say, there can not be any competition with my weekend ;)

Anonymous said...

Awesome Saturday. I love it.

Someone on the cusp... said...

Thou must update.

Sincerely,

She Who Must Be Obeyed